Sunday, August 19, 2012

Can't you see

    I still can't figure out how to word it. There are songs, mainly from your childhood (or anyway from mine) that you can't believe in your heart of hearts were written by one person, or recently. Songs that you believe are traditional even when there's a writing credit on the label of the 45. (I count on the fact that there are no young people in my audience. But in case there are, a 45, otherwise called a single, was a single song played on a phonograph at 45 rpm. Sort of like the dinosaurs' answer to an mp3.)
    I guess the primo example of this is "Proud Mary," though Ike and Tina kind of ripped that one up enough to make it seem new and hip again almost immediately. My big one though is the Marshall Tucker Band's "Can't You See." No part of me will ever believe that they wrote this; it just always was. Similar is "Goin' Down," by Don Nix. Today I heard "Joy to the World" by Three Dog Night, which might also qualify. And although by now they ARE traditional and certainly aren't recent, Johnny Mercer and Stephen Foster numbers don't seem like they were written by anybody either. But then, "Ol' Man River" is from "Showboat."
    Dreams last night were infinitely weird and somehow involved cannibalism. I think it was more mentioned as happening rather than in any way happening to me. This will teach me not to play "Coast to Coast AM" overnight.

2 comments:

  1. Cannibalism overlapping musical origin... this is one for Yung.-- Peg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carl Gustav got nothin' on me. I'm sure Freud would have some suggestions, too.

    ReplyDelete