Friday, August 3, 2012

The Incredible String Cat

    I guess it's "You are what you eat," not "You are what you want to eat," so Amelia won't really turn into the Incredible String Cat. But she really wants to eat that string. Maybe it's being kept inside for all these years. Her hunting instincts haven't atrophied; instead they've tightened into a laser focus. (Considering how cats feel about laser pointers, that might be an especially good term.)
    I worry about it because string isn't normally what you would think of as edible. I looked it up, trying to find out where I can get twine for cooking, since it's used in many food applications. Most sources suggested that you just go get all cotton twine from the hardware store, which is what we were playing with anyway. However, it's from China. A nation that exports children's toys with lead paint on them is probably not to be trusted on something like string. So I try to keep it from her mouth whenever possible. But it makes her so happy to catch the string sometimes. And she deserves to be happy. I don't think it will knock down her test scores much.

No comments:

Post a Comment