Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Ma Belle Amie

    The other day, something reminded me of the old song "Ma Belle Amie." More on that something later; it's fairly mortifying, too. But I couldn't remember the name of the song, nor as it turned out anything else. I always thought it was by the same guy who did "Montego Bay." More embarrassing still, I thought that that was Bobby "Blue" Bland. (Hey, I was close! It was Bobby Bloom.)
    "Ma Belle Amie" proves to be by a Dutch combo called The Tee Set. The something that set me off was a request on Facebook for a song containing a specific lyric ("when the one that left us here/ returns for us at last," I think). That proved to be "Get Together" by The Youngbloods, but reminded me of what I thought was a line from "Ma Belle Amie," "for the man on the hill waits there." Google searches featuring that line were supremely unsuccessful and I'd already found out that Bobby Bloom had been a one-hit wonder, which ruled him out.
    Turns out that the line is "for the man after him waits here." The song is a whine about how his belle amie left him for another man, but he's confident that she'll come back to him. Which makes it a lot less poetic than I had thought, but at least it makes sense. But I still like it better my way.:)

3 comments:

  1. Come on people now, smile on your brother, everybody get together try to love one another...

    Do you think Bobby Bloom was Jewish?

    When I'm President....everybody's going to have a Wayback Machine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here keep up the good work what my cat like to eat

    ReplyDelete