Saturday, August 18, 2012

Nothing sadder than a dead dog

    I don't walk around in my neighborhood often this time of year because there isn't much shade. But a week or so back I took a walk here due to being pressed for time I think. Less than a block from my door I was adopted by a little brown dog who walked with me all the way to Olympia Avenue. She didn't have a collar so she might have been a stray or she may have just lost it. Either way, she was a very friendly dog and I wanted to persuade her not to cross Olympia Avenue, which is a very busy street and not a good place for dogs.
    She did anyway. On the other side, there was a lady with several brown dogs running loose, seemingly healthy and happy. I told her that this little dog had tried to adopt me; the little brown dog in turn tried to adopt her, or rather her brown dogs. I left them to it, and never found out if she kept the dog, or if the dog went home, or what.
    This morning, beside Olympia Avenue was a dead brown dog. I would guess it was hit by a car; at least they had the decency to get it out of the road. It looked to be too big to be my little friend. Since it was near her street, I'm afraid it was one of the brown dogs belonging to the nice lady. It was gone by the end of the morning, so somebody who loved it brought it home. I sure hope that little brown dog got home all right.

No comments:

Post a Comment