Monday, April 29, 2013

Baking mix!

    The world is coming to an end, but in the good way. Aldi has gluten-free baking mix! (Also gluten-free brownie mix, but I'm still not eating caffeine so that doesn't help.) Unfortunately, this being Aldi it's in the temporary section, so they'll probably not have it very long. In the mean time, though, I have a cheap, gluten-, dairy- and soy-free mix to make pizza-free pizzas with. Or so I hope.
    Aldi's private label items, particularly the ones they have for a limited time, almost always turn out to be a major brand's product repackaged. So I looked it up. The big gluten-free baking brand at the moment is Betty Crocker, but I was a little bewildered since Betty has always been focused on desserty type stuff. And it turns out that the baking mix, oddly enough, is labeled Bisquick by Betty Crocker. Go figure. Anyway, the B by BC version is made in Canada and warns that it might contain soy. The Aldi version is made in USA and has no soy warning. Aldi is usually good about labeling for sensitivities. My only guess is that Aldi, rather than repackaging as I always suspected, got an actual US outfit to make an imitation of the Bisquick version, but found an outfit that doesn't handle soy. Why they would go to all this trouble for a temporary item is one of those "go figure" questions that I'll probably never work out. But I'll make my pizza and if I like it, I'll buy them out. Regardless, it's cool to have something cheap and easy to make pizza crust with. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment