Thursday, April 4, 2013

Working my way back to you

    If you'd asked me two days ago who did "Working My Way Back To You," well frankly I wouldn't have remembered, but the version I would have thought of would have been (I looked it up) the Spinners from the late '70s. Yesterday, though, I heard the Four Seasons version from 1966 and now I'm absolutely convinced that I've always known it. This isn't unreasonable; it came out when I was old enough to be somewhat alert. But up until yesterday, I would have thought that it had been a new song when the Spinners brought it out.
    I can't decide if this is the wondrous power of Frankie Valli or if I do in fact remember the 1966 version. I guess the key is if I start hearing in my mind's ear Frankie singing the "Forgive Me Girl" part, which it turns out was written by the producer of the Spinners record. It's called a separate song and part of a medley, though it sounds more to me like he just wrote a bridge for the older song. I also never knew it was a medley, so at least I've learned something. Yet again, nothing major league consequential; just an oddity of memory where one day you've completely forgotten the existence of a song and the next you're convinced that you've known it all my life. (Note: Frankie's great, but the Spinners are still better!:))

No comments:

Post a Comment