Monday, April 22, 2013

I invented pound cake!

    Marzipancakes went approximately as follows: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cover bottom of a 1/2 cup measuring cup with EV olive oil. Fill the rest of it with honey. Dump in mixing bowl as best you can. Add one large egg. (You can break it and scramble it first.) Add a tsp of vanilla extract and a tsp of Ceylon cinnamon (or regular; do NOT go buy Ceylon cinnamon just for this.) Add half a cup of almond milk. Add 2 tsps of baking powder. Add 2 1/2 cups of almond meal.

(I note parenthetically (see those parentheses?) that I found a recipe online for marzipan calling for 2 1/2 cups of almond meal, 1/2 cup of honey and a tsp (maybe two) of almond extract. So I was pretty faithful, especially by my standards!)

This would be a good time to add 1/4 cup of slivered almonds (the flat ones; Aldi calls these "sliced almonds" and calls something else "slivered almonds," but I'm pretty sure they're mistaken. Something lost in the translation, as Paul said.)

You may now want to mix all this stuff up. Hopefully you were doing so right along without me telling you to (you're so smart!) so this is no chore.

Now when I'm hatching these fiascoes, as I've mentioned before, I just pour all the batter onto parchment paper on a pizza pan, rather than think out the ideal way to cook a cake or bread or pancakes or whatever the heck what I'm making turns out to be. (I'm not very good at this, so I seldom know in advance.) I cooked for 20 minutes, which proved to be a scotch (or rather, a scorch) too long. So I'd recommend 15 minutes @ 400, then turn off the oven, flip the pancake/cake/whatever and put it back in for another 5 in a cooling oven. Or perhaps 3 or 4 more minutes would be safer.

Upshot, as I say, is an alarmingly pound-cake-like confection. Made out of almond meal, however, I suspect it's a good deal more high-energy (or anyway protein-packed); I further suspect it would be a good trail food if, say, you're climbing the Matterhorn. Anyway, I like it. It's probably a one-off considering how insanely expensive almond meal is, but I already had a bag and needed to use it up and this did a perfect job. So yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment