Sunday, April 21, 2013

Slightly tricky

    There's a local used bookstore that's gone through a lot of locations and ownerships over the years. They used to have three locations around town and then two and now they're down to one, and it's a relatively new one. Paul and I visited last week and the clerk, an attractive 40ish woman was trying to draw us into answering whether we had visited before. It turned out that this was because they were giving out $20 in trade value to people who hadn't been to that location before, but at the time it was a little uncomfortable.
    Thirty odd years ago at a store by the same name, I completely fell in love with the clerk, who wound up helpfully cutting my heart out for me. And so it would have been a much better idea if she had specifically asked if I had been to this LOCATION before; while I could have certainly shared my history with attractive women working at her bookstore, I think she might reasonably have misconstrued my aims in passing along such an anecdote. So I STFU. But I did get the trade vouchers, eventually, and the final Harry Potter and a suitably creepy Peter Straub from '99. So all ends well.

No comments:

Post a Comment