Saturday, April 20, 2013

Four-hole Buick

    At some point in, or at least by, the 1960s Buick chose as a design element four holes along the left front fender. As a little kid, you just take weird stuff as given, not questioning anything in particular (while questioning everything in general; this is the little kid's job). I just figured that a 4-hole Buick must be a really good one. There must be 3-hole and 2-hole Buicks out there, too, right?
    Dad teased me about it very mildly, talking about 4-hole Buicks now and again for the next ten years or so. In my heart of hearts, I still believe that there were 3-hole Buicks out there. So it is with a sense of relief (or something) that I report that I saw one the other week. A new one. Apparently, Buick has decided to bring the holes back as a design element, but to economize. OK, a real relief: googling "4-hole Buick" turns up enough images to demonstrate that I'm not the only one to notice this or to coin the phrase. (Wikipedia notes that they're called VentiPorts, though if they ever had anything to do with ventilation it was very briefly.)

No comments:

Post a Comment