Saturday, June 22, 2013

More phone fun

    The Windows phone continues to reveal fun and useful features. But in case anyone surfs in expecting a ringing endorsement (well it IS a phone after all!), I don't think I can give one of those. It's a neat toy, but it isn't necessarily a great phone. It allows Internet sharing (what it calls having a wireless hotspot), but there's some reason to think that the phone doesn't necessarily work when Internet sharing is on. Which is what I would call worrying.
    However, it has its moments, this Windows phone (a Nokia Lumia 521, for the record). It's quite good at recognizing songs on the radio. On the trip to Orangeburg the other day, I tuned in the very good jazz station run by SC State University, and they played a very good song. As I didn't know how long I would be able to hang on to the signal, I IDed the song using the phone. It turned out to be a Hammond B3 organ trio led by drummer Mike Clark. I went right out and got the record (Carnival of Soul) which proved to be an outstandingly good move.
    What makes it neat though, it that it works in Spanish. As I've mentioned, I like listening to Ocho Cuarento (840 AM), but have no Spanish. So there's no way to know what the songs I'm listening to and liking are. Or there was no way. Now my phone can tell me. And as luck would have it, I just found a Latin record store out Decker Boulevard in Dentsville. I tell you, I'm just magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment