Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Tennis anyone?

    Since Dad got the walker, I've needed to go out and get him a couple of tennis balls to put on the feet so his progress will be less jerky and jittery. No, this isn't the new nuclear-powered walker but the old original one that he got a year and a half ago. What can I say? I'm an idiot. I thought there were special pre-cut tennis balls and was getting around to finding out where you buy them from. Finally I asked my sister, who is both really smart and works for the VA, and she said that you just get regular tennis balls and an X-acto knife and use the latter to cut an X into the former.
    Not having either thing, I asked my friend Gypsye (who sometimes works for a circus, which ran away to join HER) if she did. She did not, but did have a swiss army knife with a saw attachment. When she loaned it to me, I remembered that I have an LL Bean swiss army (lower case indicates non-brand-namehood in both instances) flashlight (I swear I am not making this up) that sister Anne had given me. In the end, I used a corkscrew, scissors (or anyway one scissor) and both saws and made fairly short work of my Xs. As Dad is at dialysis, I don't know yet if the balls will go on the walker, but if not I'm pretty sure I can make the Xs bigger. For the record, the corkscrew wasn't necessary (but was fun). Gypsye also had a useful suggestion for which local courts to search for free tennis balls, so wins all the way around.
    Malcolm's Father's Day visit was very fun. Hopefully his drive home is uneventful; car was making worrying noises that the mechanic at Sears couldn't pinpoint. But he thought it might be the transmission. Talk about worrying! I think he has AAA at least.

Edit: Ha! Completely unnecessary! Sister Anne is sending a replacement walker which is arriving tomorrow and she's already sent hi-tech tennis balls that are pre-cut and fitted with a connection for the feet of the walker. So yaaaaay! This turned out great because putting tennis balls with an X cut into them onto a walker turns out to be really hard, in fact beyond me. So double yaaaay!

No comments:

Post a Comment