Saturday, June 15, 2013

We dig two-week-long Father's Day

    This weekend, brother Malcolm is down for Father's Day, for even extra additional fun. As odd luck would have it, I turned up at Whole Foods (looking for organic popping corn, which is a LOT harder to find than you would think) on a day when they had wild-caught East Coast shrimp for $5/lb, even if you just bought one pound, but just for that one day. So of course I bought a pound. As it was labeled "previously frozen," I had no choice but to use it immediately, so for one last time, I made my crazy-mad-stupid-brilliant Lowcountry Thai shrimp boil bisque. (This is shrimp boil with some coconut milk thrown in and as such isn't worthy of such a grandiloquent name, but hey, this is how I have fun.)
    I also tried to make maple-pumpkin cobbler. Of the two, the shrimp boil was a success; the cobbler was pretty iffy. I sort of put it back in the cooling oven to let it finish and... forgot it for an hour. Even so, it's a few notches above fiasco. But it's a few below excellent.
    Be all that as it may (Alice used to claim that one day I would have a show on NPR called "Be That As It May." I still aver that this isn't really a phrase I use that often; it just sounds like a phrase I would use often.) Malcolm got into town in time to sample both. He found the shrimp boil to be improved with the addition of Crystal hot sauce and the cobbler to be improved if he aimed at the cobbler part where the honey is. But I think he found everything fairly satisfactory. We also played with my new phone a lot, which proves to have a lot of features I didn't know about. Most of them work surprisingly well. Hopefully the rest of the weekend is as fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment