Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Putting the punk in punkin

    Some of the Crazy People on the Internet suggest that nearly all the canned pumpkin sold in this country is in fact butternut squash. Even admitting that we aren't exactly rabid about agricultural inspections here, I don't see how the corporations could get away with this. However, having tried canned organic pumpkin, I'm starting to think that maybe I could get pretty enthusiastic about canned butternut squash. Could it be that actual pumpkin actually tastes like ass? Or do I just not know what I'm doing? (Naaaaah!)
    Regardless, two tries at punkin muffins failed, one slightly and one abysmally. So I spread out the remaining crust on aluminum foil and covered it with the remaining pumpkin filling, which turned out fortunately to be pretty skimpy. Thus, the resulting dish, which I decided to call punkin crisp, is pretty tasty. Once again, all the sweetener is in the crust; I've got to stop doing that. Or to put it another way, I need to throw out all the recipes and wing it. Well, it's almost always worked in the past!
    Margaret had a short in the light in her bathroom, which I told her ages ago that she needed to have fixed. A few weeks ago the fixture finally gave out entirely, and they had to rely on light from the corridor (and the window, in the daytime). Her son-in-law is a whiz with electricity and could replace the fixture. I got into it only insofar as taking her to Lowe's to find a new fixture yesterday in between the thunderstorms. We couldn't find one with the same kind of base (round instead of oval) so it seemed like there would be an unsightly unpainted place. But Rick installed it and you can barely notice the difference. And Dad and Margaret again have an illuminated bathroom (with no electrical short to worry about). So yaay!

No comments:

Post a Comment