Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Bad cop

    Dad had an appointment with the cardiologist today. It wasn't anything to do with his recent troubles, or at least not primarily. He had labs, basically, and a check on the pacemaker. His stamina is so bad that he had to rest every 20 feet or so. If I were a cardiologist, this would give me pause.
    This is a side issue, and one I've probably brought up before, but why do doctors' offices with a strong expectation that their patients are sick, infirm or weak, make them walk so far? It's insanity. Of course, far is relative; if I were the patient, I would laugh at the walking distances, and also run up and down stairs. But not all, probably not close to a majority of patients at a heart clinic, have these abilities. (I offered to get Dad a wheelchair, but he said he thought he could walk it. And he did, eventually.)
    During one of his rest periods, Dad said he would like some water. He had already passed the water fountain and would have to go a distance back and then return again. I went to the desk, explained that he was very weak and asked if they had any cups. The nice lady found me a styrofoam one and I got Dad some water.
    I have found before that if you hand Dad a cup of water, he will drink it all. I pointed out to him that not only is he on a low salt diet but also he's supposed to be restricting his water intake to avoid going back to the hospital with further congestive heart failure. At length, I persuaded him to give back the cup without drinking it all, but felt really rotten. I don't think it's fair or a good idea to make family members be the bad cop. This is yet another reason why I wish Dad had home health care. I don't think that we can control him, and I think he's going to get into trouble again quickly if somebody doesn't get him to restrict his fluids. It is infinitely frustrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment