Tuesday, January 21, 2014

This modern world

    Somebody died. It wasn't someone I know. It was the husband of someone who is a Facebook friend of mine. But I don't know her either. She's a friend of another Facebook friend of mine, who is in fact a friend of mine. But though we're quite good Internet friends and though we're distant cousins, I've never actually met him in person either.
    I'm not looking for etiquette lessons. Even though I've never met the grieving widow, I can grasp that I need to extend sympathies. It's just weird the way things go nowadays. I suppose 100 years ago I could have become acquainted with a distant stranger by someone reading them my telegrams, or 200 years ago or more my letters. But it's just odd how intimately lives impinge on one another without the people living them actually meeting. Said the guy who just got friended by a stranger from Bangladesh yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment