Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Solved another mystery

    Long version is "solved another mystery nobody but me is interested in," but is truth in advertising really required in blogging?
    I earlier wondered aloud (or as loud as I type) why or how lentil/cornmeal cooked in olive oil kinda sorta tastes like burgers fried in beef grease. The ingredients have nothing in common, right? It occurs to me that they do have one thing in common: sugar. And what tastes similar between the two is not, as I was thinking, hot grease, but rather caramelization. What brought it home was that I cooked this batch of polentil hoecakes a bit longer than usual and the similarity was greater. Almost as if the caramelization was greater. By the way, since this isn't the Food Network, you aren't actually required to drink now. (I think that was "caramelize" anyway.) In short, cook anything in grease until it's browned (or anyway anything that's got sugar in it and you should get a nice hamburger-like flavor. Worth trying anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment