Monday, January 27, 2014

Wind chill

    Oh nothing. I just noticed the other day that at a certain temperature level, no matter hard the wind is blowing, there is no wind chill in the weather report. I think it must be 50 degrees; anyway the temperature was somewhere in the low 50s with a gale blowing but the "feels like" temperature was the same as the actual. Similarly, there's no heat index below a certain temperature; it might be 90 degrees, but 80 is more likely. I noticed at the time (OK, there wasn't really a gale blowing, but there was significant wind) that there was in fact a chill factor; that's why I was looking it up on the Weather Channel app in the first place. Perhaps some adjustments are in order.
    In general, it's a nerve-wracking period in weather, as we have snow in the forecast for tomorrow. No big deal anywhere else, but here we're not exactly familiar with driving in winter weather. At the moment, the forecast is for it not to start until after I get Dad home from dialysis. I can really go for this. More worryingly, sleet and ice are expected, so power lines are at risk. Strangely, the brunt of the storm is projected to hit south of here. With all sympathies to those potentially affected, I can go for anywhere but here on the whole. I'm pretty much polar vortexed out.
    Oddly, it's in the upper 60s at the moment, although it has clouded over in a fairly threatening way. We have a grand tradition for predictions of snow that never pan out. I can so endorse this happening again.

No comments:

Post a Comment