Sunday, July 29, 2012

Again with the cucumbers

    I guess the big point I want to get across before I start blithering is one that no doubt everybody but me knew already: don't put cucumbers in the fridge. For all that "cool as a cucumber" stuff, it isn't a really good idea. It especially isn't a good idea for the petite cucumbers I've been obsessed with lately. They rot. And quickly, too. So I've been happier since I've been leaving them out.
    I did find out why they aren't marketed as being seedless. The latest batch do indeed have seeds, though they are very small. They haven't caused any reflux that I have noticed, though, which is all that's important to me.
    Publix sells these and the English (or Dutch) cucumber both from an outfit called Perro Family Farms. The petite cucumbers are from Holland; the English (or Dutch) ones are from Honduras. This caused me a quadruple take (a double each for Holland and Honduras). But really, I read correctly; the ones that are supposed to be from Holland are the ones that aren't. It also occurred to me that the Perros are one far-flung family. Gotta get around if you want to get ahead in the cucumber biz, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment