Sunday, July 22, 2012

Burpless

    Now and then I've mentioned my weirdo crazy luncheon beverage, a smoothie composed of avocado, cucumber, and either pineapple or some other fruit, usually strawberries and blueberries. A long time ago, I found out that this makes me a lot happier if I cut the seeds out of the cucumbers. Otherwise I get the most astonishing acid reflux.
    Recently, Dad's sweetheart Margaret introduced me to these seedless cucumbers Publix sells. The weird thing is that they are nowhere called seedless; they are marketed as gourmet mini cucumbers. They are something of a chore to peel, but whatever they're called, I have yet to see a seed. Nor have I had any reflux. So they seem to be a winner. (Also, one goes well in my smoothie, whereas I usually have to cut a regular cucumber in half, reserving the other for the next day.)
    Researching this, I found that the English cucumber (those very long, skinny things) is in fact advertised as being both seedless and burpless. (Apropos of nothing, but I think in England they're called Dutch cucumbers. But maybe I'm just romancing.) I seem to recall them tasting particularly bitter, though, or anyway not particularly good. But maybe I'll try one the next time I'm out of cucumbers. Publix only sells the mini cucumbers in packs of four to six, which is a too few many cucumbers anyway. So a gigantic one instead wouldn't be much of a stretch. Although if they're as nasty as I remember, it might be much too much.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment