Friday, July 6, 2012

Spacebook

    When it started, Facebook was, by all reports, the next MySpace. And now that it has started winding down, it looks even more like the next MySpace. Pretty soon, there will be nobody there except Zuckerberg and me, furiously ignoring each other. All the cool kids have left for Twitter, except for the voluble ones, who presumably left for Google+. I don't know why Facebook kept feeling the need to make changes that nobody wanted and that nobody liked. There used to be a proverb about what you do (or don't do) when something isn't broken.
    Granted, Zuckerberg is a few odd billion ahead of me in net worth, so he probably feels that he did a pretty good job. Even if it all goes away, I expect he'll get to keep the money. But I miss the feeling of community, the sense that I had actual friends on Facebook. On the other hand, a new social network called Spacebook would be funny as hell. I wonder if I could sell ads...

No comments:

Post a Comment