Sunday, July 1, 2012

Keanu cookies

    Kitchen adventures continue. In the quest to make quinoa (which my brain has inexplicably decided is pronounced Keanu instead of keen-wah) cookies, there has been a victory. It was just a matter of making the batter thick enough to be cookie dough.
    First you need your quinoa. Apparently, a quarter cup of quinoa plumbed with a half cup of water yields a cup of cooked quinoa. I'll wait while you do the math. Yes, that's right; in spite of everything taught by physics, 3/4 cup becomes one cup. Regardless, you take the resultant quantity of quinoa, be it a cup or otherwise (I didn't trouble to measure) and you're ready for your cookies.
VERY IMPORTANT: Be sure to get prewashed quinoa, or wash it very, very, very thoroughly. Or you'll get to try out saponin poisoning. I don't think it'll kill you, but I'm pretty sure you won't like it. (It's basically soap.)
    Preheat oven to 350. Mix a tablespoon of (extra virgin) olive oil, two of honey, an egg, your quinoa, a half cup of peanut butter, and a quarter cup of chocolate chips. I use natural (ie, ingredients: peanuts and salt) crunchy peanut butter and Enjoy Life soy-free chocolate chips but, ya know, whatever floats your boat. Stir, mix, mingle, agitate, do what you gotta do.
    I've just discovered parchment paper, but haven't used it yet. I suspect that this will be a good application, though, especially as some of my friends are vegetarian but my pans are not. Regardless, cook on one side for about 12 minutes, then flip and cook on the other for 8. (In the real world, I tried 15 and 5 and the side that was down the longer time got scorched.)
    The results are pretty darned good. They aren't the dessertiest cookies in the history of the world. For that, I could add more chocolate chips, more honey, or maybe just a teaspoon of vanilla. But they're very tasty. Maybe a little burpy, but awful darn nice.
     Update: on the second iteration, I added the teaspoon of vanilla, and used parchment paper. Both went well. One problem is that some of the quinoa comes out hard as birdseed. I suspect that the best idea is to ignore package instructions and try cooking the quinoa for 15 minutes at low heat, then another 5 or 10 at medium low (1.5 clicks on this electric range) until all water is absorbed or evaporated. And be extra careful that all quinoa seeds are in the water.
    Meanwhile, in the dream world (this is brief, I swear!), my Dad and I were driving around and my car air conditioning wasn't working very well. (This during the hottest hot spell EVER in real life.) It turned out that there's a lint trap in my car's A/C (who knew?) right where the CD player is in real life, only wide as the glove compartment. Once we cleaned that out, everything was fine. Gotta hate those linty air conditioners!

No comments:

Post a Comment