Thursday, July 5, 2012

Apps that hopefully aren't killer

    I mentioned a while ago to my brother Mal that there ought to be an app to tell you when the speed limit has changed. It seems like Google could manage it with all their vehicles going around for Google Maps. Or some other mapping outfit could. I guess the hard part would be getting the driver to pay attention. After all, there are road signs for this purpose already, yet somehow we seem to manage to fail to notice them perhaps oftener than not. I'm thinking the app would have to repeat aloud the new speed limit until countermanded. The driver would have to say, "I heard you," or something similar to get the phone to stop. (Or maybe "stop": it would need to be pretty simple, because it would be dangerous to put the driver in a situation where s/he would have to handle the phone to get it to stop.)
    The other app idea is probably impossible, or at least of limited utility, but it's a situation that comes up where I live. This would tell you where to park for maximum shade. Phone could take a picture (or several), figure out the time of day and direction you're facing and tell you where to park. I guess your car would have to be in the picture and maybe there would be a shadow image nearby showing you the ideal point to move to. (To which to move? Even I'm not that pretentious!) This comes up because there are a lot of shade trees at this apartment where I live, yet I always manage to park in the wrong place. Hey, it'll be killer!

No comments:

Post a Comment