Saturday, September 29, 2012

Timeless again

    I have blithered previously on the topic of timeless songs from the past few decades. I will do so here again even more randomly. Be forewarned.
    One of the umpty-ump local oldies stations rebroadcasts Casey Kasem's American Top 40 radio show. In fact, they do so twice every weekend. On Saturday mornings, they play a show from the '70s and on Sunday evenings, they play one from the '80s. It's a demonstration of timelessness in action when you hear two songs in a row and your reaction to one is "I had no idea this was so old" and to the other "I had no idea this was so new." It's a lot of fun; of course you can do the same thing by checking old Billboard charts on the Internet. I'm not sure which of the above reactions means that the song is timeless, since either could. I guess the big one would be a sense of disbelief that this song had ever been on the charts at all in my lifetime. Coincidentally, "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel is playing at this moment, and I'm sort of feeling that way even though I know perfectly well when it came out and that it was on the charts.
    Another thought about timelessness: how so many Simon & Garfunkel numbers were, and how so few Paul Simon numbers are. I guess it's important to know your own limitations and to recognize when you have a great singer interpreting your work. Maybe somebody should put together a "Garfunkel Sings Simon" record. I think I could get behind that.

No comments:

Post a Comment