Friday, September 28, 2012

Yeast extract

    A continuing source of annoyance is how hard it is to avoid MSG in this our life. I don't know if the stuff is unhealthy or in any way bad for you. I just know that it gives me a brief but definitely uncomfortable weird feeling in my sinus area, and I am happier without it. So it peeves me to see various products labeled with Earth mother type names and promising "No MSG" except that there always seems to be an asterisk (or, more ominously, a dagger): "except for that naturally occurring in yeast extract."
    Well no kidding! You put in the yeast extract BECAUSE it has MSG in it! So here's a thought: why not DON'T put the yeast extract in? Granted, I don't know a lot about modern food manufacturing, but I'm pretty sure the yeast extract did not sneak itself in by some back door. I am not a paid endorser (and wouldn't it be a laugh if I were?) but Kitchen Basics broths specifically promise that they contain no MSG and nothing that would PRODUCE MSG. I don't see why this is so hard. They have my business; in fact, I'm eating their broth this minute (well, a minute ago and a minute from now) in my shrimp-free shrimp boil. Damn fine, don't even miss the MSG.

No comments:

Post a Comment