Saturday, September 22, 2012

Is your tongue coated?

    Throughout this weird health escapade, I've been reminded of the Bugs Bunny bit, "Is your tongue coated?" (Then he paints their tongue.) As that was maybe 70 years ago, and probably represents something that was a dated medical cliche even then, I don't have any clear idea what it's supposed to mean. But I do feel a bit like my tongue is coated, since this neverending sour taste in my mouth seems confined to my tongue. What I think is going on is that I have the world's mildest ear infection, complicated by a really astonishing earwax buildup.
    As I get the earwax out gradually (using peroxide, following doctor's instructions of some years standing), I'm feeling in some ways better and in some worse. It seems like I've let the infection out of its earwax prison, and it's running roughly like a very mild cold. As I have the immune system of a shark, I'm pretty confident that I'll have it licked entirely in another couple of days. Or I'll just eat more cookies. (Well, that's one way to beat a sour taste in your mouth.)

2 comments:

  1. A month too late--for a coated tongue, brushing thoroughly the tongue, the gums, the roof of the mouth, and as much of the throat area as can be reached without major gagging generally gives great relief. Cookies provide a short burst of sweetness that soon turns sour. But, in general, I'd rather have a coated tongue than a tongued coat!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I brush with baking soda, so I'm not sure how much that would help. But Listerine seems to. Thanks, regardless!

      Delete