Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Map help

    I met a nice couple on the boardwalk at Congaree National Park yesterday. They were at the point where the Weston Loop Trail leaves the boardwalk. Unfortunately, it starts out as another boardwalk which extends about as far as the eye can see, but only a little farther. This may have confused them, or they might just be really bad with maps. They were also standing next to two signs that made abundantly clear which way was the trail and which the boardwalk.
    They asked me if I were familiar with the trails here. I resisted the temptation to say, "I wrote the book" just this once, and just said yes. They asked if I would recommend the Weston Lake Loop Trail. I started to say yes, since it had been dry lately and it ought to be a real nice hike for people prepared for it. Then I looked down at their feet. He was wearing regular shoes while she was wearing open-toed sandals. I recommended they stay on the boardwalk. Congaree NP is no place to hike without proper boots (and sunblock, bug spray, water and food, none of which did they seem to have either.) It was a crazy mad pretty day, though; I'm sure they had a good visit just walking the boardwalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment