Monday, October 8, 2012

Days of future passed

    Paul and I were talking about science fiction or otherwise futurist or futuristic stories set in a future that has already passed by. "Nineteen Eighty-Four" sort of leaps to mind, but there are a lot of others. We thought that "A Clockwork Orange" had happened already; though Wikipedia is non-specific, if it was near-future in 1961, as Wiki says, one can assume that it's past by now.
    Boy, this is turning out to be harder than I thought. I know there was a Star Trek episode where they returned in time to the 1980s or '90s, but I forget which. I was surprised that "Brave New World" was set so far in the future, though I guess I should have remembered the whole After Ford gag. Most of my old-time radio sci fi is set in a future that's happened already, but since most of it is also pretty obscure, there probably isn't much point into going into specifics. Some of them are from "The Martian Chronicles," which definitely start in 1999. So there.

No comments:

Post a Comment