Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Dr. Scholl's

    An oddity, and a very poor advertisement. Something less than ten years ago, I was trying to get started on a second edition of our hiking book. (This wound up being done by somebody else entirely, because first I and then John never quite got around to it. Sic transit gloria mundi.) I had trouble proceeding mostly because my car in those days was unbelievably unreliable.
    But there was an odd smaller problem. Any time I went as far as a mile, I would get a small but significant pain in my hips. Unfortunately, on a hiking book you have to go as far as a mile many times over. Anyway, as I say, it was mainly car troubles (and, OK, laziness) that caused me to abandon the effort, and eventually I found that I could again hike more than a mile with no hip soreness.
    In the last couple of weeks, the hip thing came back. One difference between now and hiking book days is that I use Dr. Scholl's orthotics in my shoes and boots. Specifically, I use the one that's supposed to help lower back pain. The ones in my boots through this week had been there a long time, much longer than the recommended three-four monthes. So I got a new set, and the hip soreness after short hikes went away again. So why do I call it a poor advertisement? Lower back still hurts. Paging Dr. Scholl!

No comments:

Post a Comment