Thursday, October 11, 2012

Earwitness

    The State Fair is in town up the block from where I live, making navigation somewhat more challenging. Yesterday it opened and my dad needed me to take him on an errand. The trip was problem free until I was on my way home. Fair traffic clogged one lane of Rosewood Drive. Fortunately I was in the other lane. I saw a vehicle in the congested lane hit the brakes, but was past and could no longer see by the time the person behind him hit his own brakes too late and hit the first vehicle, too.
    I had no idea how to proceed. In the strictest sense I was a witness and was required to stay. However, I was definitely not an eyewitness, and could not in fact say anything about the accident or who caused it. The fond hope is that it was like my own fender non-bender of last week or so and there was no damage and no injury. Regardless, criminal that I am, I just drove on. There was no convenient place to stop so I would have had to block the still-viable lane if I had stopped. Mea culpa, mea culpa.

No comments:

Post a Comment