Friday, October 26, 2012

Gold

    There was a lot of talk some years ago (and a movie) about blood diamonds, but events in South Africa are making me think about blood gold. When miners are shot down by security people (I forget whether they were official police or working for the company; betting on the latter) and other miners are arrested for it, it might be time to start thinking about how society can celebrate marriage, say, without supporting repulsive and immoral corporate behavior.
    The value of gold is such that going into the vintage jewelry business would be cost prohibitive. Judging by radio ads, there are a lot of folks in the business of buying old jewelry to melt it down and a lot who are interested in selling it for that purpose. I guess it would be necessary to educate Americans further about how much pain goes into making their pretty jewelry so that people would value recycled gold more than newly mined gold.
    I am also reminded of those pictures of silver mines in South America, where the workers look like ants crawling all over one another. I guess what I'm asking is where would one find ethical jewelry if gold, silver and diamonds are out? It's not like I'm ever at this point likely to need a wedding ring myself. But it seems like there are a lot of people out there who would rather consecrate their love with something that won't make them feel guilty every time they look at it. Or maybe I think too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment