Monday, October 15, 2012

Here comes that rainy day feeling again

    I'm going to get killed for sharing that earworm, aren't I? Long long ago in the early '70s there was a British singing group called The Fortunes. They had a massive hit with the song in the subject line, and a few followup hits as well. As a small fry, I had the 45 for the big hit and one of the followups, but not for another number called "Storm in a Teacup," which my memory says that I liked better. So yesterday I looked up "Storm in a Teacup" on YouTube.
    I literally couldn't believe it. The chord progressions were childish and the refrain was apparently forgettable, since I had completely forgotten it. I remembered a couple of verses and that was about it. Seemingly, my brain had just ripped out the verses that I liked and plopped them down in "Here Comes That Rainy Day Feeling Again." (Weather-obsessed much, fellas?) Kind of a freaky memory trick, I thought. Granted, my brain had 40 years to work with, but I'm pretty sure this happened within a year or so, because I was absolutely set-in-stone sure that I knew how the song goes. But of course I can always blame the transistor radios of the era.:)
    Coincidentally, it's supposed to be raining today, but so far isn't. The only rainy day feeling I've had so far is sinus problems, but that was yesterday when it changed from sunny to cloudy. It does, however, always seem to be a Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment