Thursday, October 25, 2012

Donating

    I need to donate my body to science. The hard part is being allowed to keep using it. The reason I think science needs me is that I'm firmly convinced that I am celiac. However, my immediate family is equally convinced that none of them are. Howeverever, at least one of them should be, statistically (not, you know, morally) speaking. So the question is if I'm celiac, how did I get that way?
    I always thought that celiacs are born that way, but my more recent reading indicates that it's a condition that you are born with a tendency towards but that you develop it some time in your life. I certainly always had digestive problems, but the first solid indication that there was something wrong was creeping pins and needles sensations that hit in my 30s. Later the lactose intolerance that got me in my 40s was another indication. A better one was when both went away when I quit gluten.
    I eat a very restrictive diet now, but just because I didn't do so before is not to say that I was ever what you would call normal. I used to go quite the other way regarding gluten. I ate (wheat) bran flakes every morning for a decade or more. I pretty much lived at Cici's Pizza for a similar stretch of time. And I used to snack on four slices of whole wheat bread pretty frequently in the evening. What I'm wondering, I guess, is if I could have triggered an autoimmune response to gluten simply by overdosing on the stuff. What do you say Science? Interested?

No comments:

Post a Comment