Saturday, October 13, 2012

Ten years

    Almost ten years ago, I posted on Democratic Underground that I thought there was a lot more glare from the sun than there used to be. An online friend from New York agreed. I appreciate that this is almost the weakest possible anecdotal evidence, but it made me feel better that I wasn't the only one to feel that way.
    My feelings haven't changed. I have to wear sunglasses over my glasses to drive most days. The worst is the reflection off the trunks of other cars. The glare gets better after it rains, but usually only for one day. I can readily accept the idea that I'm becoming photophobic with age; only problem is that I was always photophobic. I could never sleep if there was any light anywhere. I would sleep with my head under the covers or under the pillow. Only in relatively recent years have I found sturdy sleep masks that will do the job. Until then, I was only really happy in hotel rooms with blackout curtains.
    Somehow, I got by driving for decades without being blinded by glare, though. I wonder if it's something that catalytic converters put out. Or that they don't quite succeed at taking out. As I recall, they were mandated with the idea of reducing smog. So maybe they reduce smog, but still release enough particles to create this infernal glare. I guess I should be glad I don't live in an actual big city.

No comments:

Post a Comment