Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The Yays

    Had to get this in while they're still in the playoffs. The other week, listening to sports results on the radio, I heard The Yays instead of The A's. I think it's a big improvement. I never liked the name The A's because it looks like they made a plural by adding an apostrophe s. Actually, the apostrophe is for the lost "thletic," but still. There was once a Philly band, enormously popular there in the '70s and early '80s, using the same name. They might have done the apostrophe s plural, or they may have been named after the baseball team. The Athletics, after all, started in Philadelphia.
    Of course it begs the question how would I form the plural if I had more than one A. After all, "As" is already a word. Beats me; I'd probably go with As anyway. My brother once saw the band The A's in Boston; they introduced themselves by saying, "We're the f---in' A's!" (which might be the real reason they chose the name). So maybe I'll ask the f===in' A's. Or maybe I would just go with the yays. It's certainly cheerful!

No comments:

Post a Comment