Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Sorting awe from awful

    A friend came over last week and was the first person to comment on my Grand Canyon pictures. Many years ago I went to the Grand Canyon with a pocket camera. In those days, a major delight of my life was making panoramic pictures by taking a series of shots from one vantage point, panning usually from left to right. When I got home and had them printed, I arranged them on what is basically extra-long sheets of photo album paper. She was mortified that they weren't properly laminated, and only relieved when she heard that I still have the negatives, thus they could still be reprinted and laminated.
    When I was younger, up to about 20 years ago, I listened to a lot of vinyl. Most of it was bought used, or had been heavily used already by me over the years. Thus, there were a lot of snaps, crackles and pops. They never bothered me; I could always sort out the music from the noise. Many people have suggested that I get better stereo equipment or position my speakers for ideal stereo imaging. I could never get the point; I think that's what the brain is for.
    Maybe that's my skill: I can sort the awe from the awful, genuflecting a bit at the former without being overly troubled by the latter. I think there's too much joy in life to let the little things bug you.

No comments:

Post a Comment