Monday, October 22, 2012

The plural of A

    A while ago I was blithering about the baseball team The A's and the band The A's, to the effect that I was glad that this was actually a contraction with the apostrophe taking the place of "thletic" (and with the idea that the band was/were named after the team) because I get mad (as in kookoo) when plurals are formed using apostrophe s. (Of course, now I have to go look up how one should write "apostrophe s.":))
    Then I thought back to those glorious days when they stopped marking penmanship and I therefore started getting straight-- uh, whatever the plural of A is. Because, though I believe that this should be As, I am aware that there is already such a word. Of course, you could go with "Ays," but most people would read that as if it were "aye" and think you were doing a pirate impression. (Straight Arrrrrrrrrs.)
    So I think I'll just say that I made straight the plural of A, and conclude that I have found the source of the problem. The problem is English. It's all fouled up. Isn't that right, Fonzie? "Ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!" (I used that gag already, didn't I? OK, so sue me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment