Monday, March 11, 2013

Circus train

    Considering yesterday's entry, it's best to update Dad's story before I start blithering. He's much better. Somebody talked him into trying the Thorazine again, and eventually it worked. Of course, now the next priority will be getting him off Thorazine as quickly as practical, but since he called today asking for enemas and laxatives (which I went and got) since the Thorazine was making him constipated, that shouldn't be too hard a sell.
    Ringling Brothers & Barnum & Bailey Circus just came through town. I think maybe they've changed their circus train. I saw it both coming and going this year (well, it was stopped both times so I got a good look) and it seemed really odd. Especially the end of the train, which featured various vehicles, including a school bus, on flatcars. I guess they must know what they're doing as regards the cost effectiveness of such a move. It just looked really odd.
    I also can't quite figure how they're getting all those vehicles off the train at every stop. A crane would be cost prohibitive, I imagine. I guess they must have an incredibly sturdy portable ramp. I think it's too much to expect every city the circus visits to have some place you can drive a school bus right off of a railway flatcar, but perhaps I'm being naive. I have half a mind (I could stop right there, couldn't I?) to email them and ask just how that works. Not long ago, they made a big production out of the unloading of the circus train, and there would be a caravan to the arena led by the elephants. Granted, I'm not in their target demographic, but I haven't heard anything about that this year or in recent years. Kind of a shame, but no doubt safer for the elephants if they have quit doing the caravan.
    Point of all this was that it was a crazy cool looking train; I wish I could have taken a picture, but I was out on my laxative hunt. And that was a little more important.

No comments:

Post a Comment