Thursday, March 21, 2013

Fun or funk

    Drinking Liberally meets Tuesday nights; I am their humble host. Once upon a time, my friend Tom Law had a jazz band every Tuesday night at Conundrum, his music hall. This was highly awesome as it allowed me to pile two very fun things up on Tuesday nights. However, those of us who showed up were very sparing with our drink orders, so he was actually losing money on the proposition. So the jazz band moved on. The new venue already had their Tuesdays set with a blues jam, so the band plays on Wednesdays. (The new venue is called Utopia; I didn't mean to keep that secret or anything.)
    So now the DL auxiliary meets on Wednesdays to listen to jazz. The fellows are just as awesome as ever. Last night, Glynis the bass player told us they were trying to come up with a band name so they could start a website and otherwise promote themselves. So I got to thinking. Jeff is an unbelievably propulsive drummer, while Glynis is both a heavy and a versatile bass player. I thought Jazz Force captured what they are; it's a terrible name, but it's accurate. I also tried Funketeers and Key of Fun. Fran suggested Famously Hot Jazz Band ("famously hot" being the slogan Columbia has been promoting itself with these past several years), which I thought was very good. Brucie, whose name I'm probably misspelling, had already suggested H.A.Jazz because Glynis' day job is in the heating and air business. Debbie altered this to Hey Jazz, and also suggested Key of Bliss. This is the one that Sara, the band's godmother and unofficial manager (and sometime singer) liked best. So DL may have named a band last night. Yay, Debbie.
    I, of course, just beat myself up for not conveying what I was trying to. "Key of Fun" was supposed to suggest "funky," but it doesn't, really. I probably should have gone with "Key of Funk," or both fun and funk. It isn't important on any level, of course. But they're so damn funky (only in the good way, naturally) I hope they find a way to fit it in the name somehow.

2 comments: