Sunday, March 24, 2013

Still in college in my sleep

    I find it peculiar (or if I've mentioned it already a dozen times, I STILL find it peculiar) that although I've defeated the well-known anxiety dream where you're in a class that you forgot you registered for and never studied and OMG it's time for finals (by simply saying, OK, guess I'd better study) but still have the I-feel-lost dream by getting lost in unbelievably large college dormitories. Last night's model was one story high and miles long and only seemed to have one entrance. There weren't really rooms, just walls now and again. Tired students would grab a rug and throw it down on the carpet, as in kindergarten. I never seem to be in school in these dreams; just visiting, and fairly bewildered about it even in the dream.
    My dreams also tend to have me in multiple settings at the same time. This time around, I was in Columbia, Philadelphia, Rome, and I think New Orleans. I was trying to find out what was playing at the Tower Theater which, 30 years ago at least, was at the end of the Market-Frankford subway/elevated line in Philadelphia. Then we were looking at restaurants, one of which was supposed to be an Italian restaurant that used to be a steakhouse in Columbia. (In waking life Columbia, ex-steakhouses tend to become Mexican, Chinese or seafood restaurants.)
    There was also some kind of business climbing an endless staircase which except for the stairs and the drunken Filipinos nodding on the ground (How did I know they were Filipinos? My dreams have a narrator, apparently.) would have been the Moonwalk in New Orleans.
    Anyway, for all that it was all quite bewildering, I got to hang out with nice, friendly people who reminded me a lot of my Drinking Liberally friends in real life. So apparently my stress and happiness levels are much improved; just need to work on feeling less lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment