Thursday, March 7, 2013

Concentrated sleep

    I've gone back to listening to old-time radio while I'm sleeping. Specifically, I'm listening to my favorite show, "Escape." Because the individual episodes were recorded and re-recorded by a lot of people over a lot of years, the volume levels vary a lot. So generally, I'm not so much listening as hearing a low mumble that I can't quite make out. A few episodes are recorded louder (or anyway play back louder) and are actually audible. These tend to enter my dreams in strange ways, such that I dreamed last night that Raymond Burr was interviewing an Italian man, partly in Italian. While Raymond Burr did relatively little radio back in old times, William Conrad and Paul Frees did a lot, especially "Escape," and sound a good deal like them. I doubt that there were any interviews in Italian, though.
    The point to all this blithering is that I seem to be getting more rest with less sleep, possibly due to the radio shows triggering more dreaming than I normally do. Anyway, I wake at 4 or 5 or 6 and feel like I had a full night's sleep. Not being a total idiot, I generally go back to sleep just the same, reasoning that if feeling like you're getting more sleep is good, actually getting it is even better. The probability is that this trick won't work too much longer (as none of them ever seem to work long) but I'm enjoying it while it lasts.
    Very, very unfortunately, Dad's hiccup medicine only worked for one pill's worth, although I suppose he's doing a little better than he was before. I'm about ten miles and two years beyond the end of my tether. I'm far more than ready to go more than a week without some new disaster cropping up, and even more ready still to have something major go right for a change. Or even minor.

No comments:

Post a Comment