Monday, March 25, 2013

This is my place; these are NOT my people

    Not that I'm complaining. The other night, I went to a show at my go-to spot Conundrum Music Hall. The performers were playing a style of Brazilian music called choro. They had done a seminar for a World Music class at the university; thus most of the (large, enthusiastic) audience was from that class. Coincidentally, none of my friends made it out to the show; heck, none of my acquaintances made it. There were a couple of people I thought I recognized, but I wasn't even sure of that. As I say, it's nothing to complain about; it was really neat! However, it's very weird to be in a supremely familiar place where you're usually surrounded by quite familiar people and instead be surrounded by strangers.
    It was a nifty show, though, and Tom the owner and William the bartender were there to keep me from getting unmoored. Also the drum kit was a tambourine (well, a pandeiro). No joke! He got astonishing sounds out of that one little frame drum. Now to find a seven-string classical guitar or a Brazilian ukulele!

No comments:

Post a Comment