Friday, March 29, 2013

Uppsala

    Thirty years ago, I visited the very nice city of Uppsala, Sweden. Anyway, I assume it was very nice; time and distance have dulled memory. All I really remember is walking into town on a main route in the rain. Very much a scene from one of my dreams, to tell the truth; apparently the youth hostel was not quite in the city center. I remember noticing that though it was daylight, everybody had their headlights on. It was raining lightly, but in those days nobody in the States (that I knew of, at least) had a law saying you had to shine your headlights when it's raining. Being not quite a total idiot, though, I figured that there must be such a law in Sweden, or at least in Uppsala.
    The reason I mention it is that nowadays when it rains, next to no one turns their headlights on except for me. I don't know if this is just a result of everybody forgetting due to a prolonged drought, or if police have decided not to enforce the law anymore, or even if there was never such a law here and my iffy memory is playing tricks on me again. Regardless, I think it's a good idea, just like I did 30 years ago in Uppsala, and I always turn on my lights in the daytime if it's raining. Unless I forget, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment