Monday, February 9, 2015

Al, Al, Al

    My friend Terry suggested that "Word Crimes" by Al Yankovic needs to be on my blog. Al's Word Crimes It's brilliant, too-- right up to the point at the end where he splits an infinitive. But I believe in Al! I think he did it on purpose just to give people like me stuff to cavil and or kibitz about. ("Kibitz" isn't right. See, Al? I can do it, too!
    I'm so old that I no longer know what song Al is parodying. Moreover, this has been the case for decades. I didn't know that "All About the Pentiums" was a takeoff of "All About the Benjamins." Moreover, I didn't know that the latter was a catchphrase, and when it was used as the title of a movie, I thought it was a documentary about Richard Benjamin and Paula Prentiss.
    I think this is a parody of Alan Thicke's son's distasteful song. And the reference to the once-famous Canadian also pretty tells you all you need to know about how old I am. I haven't actually heard the song, though date rape isn't my favorite topic for poesy. I'm pretty sure I like Al's better and would like it better still if I just thought of it as an original.
    Today was spent setting up a trust bank account with a young woman who had never done it before. It was way more fun than you would think (but don't blur any lines) but not something I'm terribly eager to do again, although I'll have to tomorrow or so.
    Persons jealous of our Chamber of Commerce weather can take satisfaction in the fact that it's raining, and turning cold. The fact that our idea of cold is not anyone else's is probably something to keep in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment