Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Printer hijinks

    I bought a $40 printer from Kmart. The dude who sold it to me said, in reference to the low price, "I haven't had any complaints!" I think maybe he was fibbing. Although it's an excellent printer, the package did not include a USB cable. Now I get that in 2015, most people would be replacing a printer, and thus would already have the cable. But the instructions implied that there was some other way to use the printer (as in, "if you want to use a USB cable, you will have to procure one," paraphrasing). And there just isn't. It doesn't have WiFi or Bluetooth or even any other connection for a cable other than the power supply. And since the manual is all but useless, the only way to learn this was by checking the comments on the printer at New Egg's website.
    So I went out to get a USB cable. I went to Office Depot, where a friendly fellow showed me a 3' $10 cable no problem. However, I also needed to get some copies of Dad's death certificate. Humiliatingly, I couldn't figure out how to figure out the self-service copy machine; nor could they shake loose anybody to help me. Still apparently in the Anger stage of mourning, I threw down the cable and blew out of there.
    I drove to Staples and found that they only had 6' cables for $20. I was not best pleased and told the nice fellow who had shown me them this. He found that Staples.com had them much cheaper (makes no sense, but I'm not complaining at this point) and sold it to me for less than $6. And it turns out that my now $46 printer works really, really well. So maybe the Kmart guy wasn't fibbing.
    Using it, I was able to print the form for Dad's life insurance for the Veterans Administration. Then there was major rigmarole at my bank, which might be tomorrow's blog entry. But I did get my claim and the death certificate copy in, meaning that my siblings can put their claims in, too. Feeling again like a good boy, I decided to go to the State Museum instead of taking my usual daily hike, and wound up spending more time there than I did in the Prado or the Rijksmuseet. (Shhh! Don't tell anybody!)

No comments:

Post a Comment