Monday, February 23, 2015

Oh THOSE earthworks!

    A couple of weeks ago at my favorite walking place, variously called Timmerman Trail, Cayce Riverwalk/ Timmerman Trail or the 12,000 Year Historical Park trail, sprang up a(n) historical marker. This tells the story of the Congaree Creek earthworks, thrown up as a last ditch (no, really!) defense at the end of the Civil War. And I thought, what earthworks?
    Now since this trail (I'm not sure a cement path is really a trail, but that's what they call it) opened, I had noticed that there was a big ridge of dirt between the path and the creek and wondered why it was there, why they didn't knock it down since it blocks the view of the creek and why they didn't just run the path on top of it. OHHHHHHHHHH! Your pal John may not be the brightest fellow in this area code when it comes right down to it. Although it only took me a couple of weeks to figure it out!
    Weather is continuing in its "can't complain; everybody else's weather's worse!" mode. Rainy yesterday and most of today, and about to get cold again, but not cold compared to cold places. It's supposed to snow tomorrow, but I think I've heard that one before. Speaking possibly only for myself, I'd be just as happy if the forecast is all wrong. I dig snow, but I like pictures of it even better. I amuse myself by thinking of the fact that I'll probably need the ceiling fans a week from now and the air conditioning in two weeks. Kookoo, ain't it?

2 comments:

  1. Ah, now I see the real reason you bagged out after the first day of walking Hadrian's Wall. Had nothing to do with blisters on your feel but instead was that pile of stones next to the path that kept getting in the way while you looked for the wall...

    ReplyDelete