Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Razzafrazzin'...

    I will continue my policy of not divulging any important specifics on estate matters for security reasons, so this is likely to be vague and uninteresting in the extreme. I'll do my best not to be, of course. A company that I like a lot required me to jump through a lot of hoops before they would recognize that I really am who I say I am and the son of the father I claim is my father and not just a son of a son of a. Two weeks of hoops, in fact, or a little more than that.
    And all that before they would answer one simple question: did my Dad have his money in the Trust's name or in his own name? Today, they finally accepted my secret handshake and let me in on the secret. And the answer is... bad news. So Dad's largest chunk of change is headed to probate rather than straight to distribution, which is a total bummer drag. On the other hand, we'll be getting another nice little pile of money some months in the future. And that's certainly better than... never. And of course I bet the bank is thrilled!
    Note: the individual representative of the firm in question had a great sense of humor about the whole thing and helped out with my bit about filling out the forms at midnight under the full moon standing on one foot ("On Tuesday," he suggested), so at least that was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment