Thursday, February 19, 2015

SECOND NOTICE

    The funeral home sent a bill some weeks ago. It featured a $32 charge for writing a longer obituary than expected (which I expected) and $200 in sales taxes because the local sales tax had gone up in the years since Dad pre-paid for his funeral. I'm pretty sure that this isn't legal, but since the estate didn't have any money anyway, I just set the bill aside as something I would get around to later, or in other words, ignored it. I would have eventually argued with them about it or referred it to our lawyer, no doubt.
    This week, I received another bill, stamped in red all-caps SECOND NOTICE. The sales tax surcharge, if you will, had magically disappeared, and this one was just for $32. As such, that would make it a FIRST NOTICE instead. And my first inclination was to write a particularly snotty note to that effect, suggesting that such incompetence made one severely reluctant to use or recommend their services again. Then, I dunno, I grew up a little bit. I eventually just wrote, "First bill was incorrect. Thanks for fixing it." I think this met the case.
    In other news of the odd, a representative for one of the investment companies Dad had money with keeps apologizing for his death. The first time, I let it slide. The second time, I corrected her, nicely I hope. True it's the thought that counts, but she probably shouldn't go through life in the business world saying "I apologize" when she means "I sympathize." Should she?

No comments:

Post a Comment