Sunday, April 5, 2015

A slight bout of conscience

    It's Easter Sunday; retail options are fairly limited. Paul suggested 2d & Charles, a used book/record store, apparently a chain. Regardless, they were open, and we went. I got some very nice CDs cheap and also Andrew Vachss' first novel, so a win!
    But before that, I was in the cheap PC games section. These are almost always dreadful. A very smart young kid and his somewhat slower older brother (I'd guess) were also looking. The young fellow was looking for first-person shooters. The games they have, though, besides being dreadful are nearly always hidden object games. I did find a first-person shooter all the way at the bottom right. And I just couldn't tell him. It's silly; he likes first-person shooters so he'll play them anyway. It would have only been nice to show him one for just $5. But I couldn't. I wasn't being shy; I wasn't being mean. I just didn't want to be party to it. He's young; maybe he'll fall in love with hidden object games.
    If this happens again, I think I'll do the most honest thing: tell the kid about it, but damn it with faint praise. As I've found out through bitter experience, there's a reason that their games are $5!

No comments:

Post a Comment