Wednesday, April 15, 2015

But how will I tell if it's raining?

    For the last year or so, there's been a vine dangling down outside my kitchen window. You mainly think of vines as growing upwards, but nobody told this one. It was really great, because when it would rain but not hard enough to make a noise or splash on the windows, I would see water drops on this vine and know whether or not it was raining.
    This morning, I noticed that the vine was much lower compared to the window. Now it may be gone altogether, although it appears more like it's caught up on a higher vine, which it would be well entitled to do; we had a heck of a storm earlier! And the reason I'm related this particular piece of ephemera is because much as I kid myself about it, I do feel a little blue about not having my rain gauge anymore. Mind you, if I were really worried about it, I would open the window and untangle the dang thing. It's just funny the little things you get used to, and then have to get used to living without.
    It is, however, easier to live without because of the way it would whip against the window in really heavy storms, as I would generally jump with every thump. This is probably the prime reason I'm not jumping up to open that window to get my vine back.
    Meanwhile, tax day went OK. I filed extensions and paid what TurboTax wanted me to pay. I would have been willing to go ahead and file SC taxes, but they wanted me to attach Dad's entire federal return and copies of all 1099s, which would have been pretty tricky since I hadn't filed the former yet. So now I have a lovely 20 page printout of his SC tax return which will no doubt be helpful to the accountant. Always a silver lining!

No comments:

Post a Comment