Saturday, April 4, 2015

Decisions, decisions

    In the Further Grownup Stuff Department, I need to decide if I want to buy a house or not. On the one hand, rent is a dead loss. On the other, property taxes seem pretty high around here. Owning a home outright and then still having to pay isn't very appealing, either.
    Unfortunately, my dream house is probably a dream. All I want is a small (cottage-size) country farmhouse that's also conveniently located (which in my world means near an Aldi). Of course, it needs to be in my price range (meaning the lowest). The place I really want is literally condemned. I would try to get a hold of it anyway, except that it has (as the song says) a tin roof, rusted. I don't think I have the kind of money needed to buy a house and put a new roof on it. But I'm insane enough to be tempted.
    Columbia is really odd, because we have some terrific houses, but when new houses are built, they usually imitate styles from elsewhere instead of the good houses we have already. This means that the few terrific ones are really expensive even though they're in not the best neighborhood ever. Then again, the neighborhood I'm in (not the best either) has terrific mill houses. But talk about imitating styles from somewhere else; they're based on the mill houses of New England of 100 years ago, and are built to shed heavy snows! Brilliant, these mill owners were! They're too big for me and anyway I'd like to get out of this neighborhood (as it's shut in by frequent freight trains), but might be within my budget. Maybe. As I say, decisions, decisions!

No comments:

Post a Comment